Thursday, March 19, 2009

New Work 3/19/09


Several months ago, while flipping through an old issue of Dwell magazine, I found the photographs of artist Frank Breuer.  His series of telephone phones inspired me to make a necklace with the image of a telephone pole.  My image also has more personal meaning than that, though.  The picture I created is one of the landscape of my home state--Kansas.  One of the things I most vividly remember (and miss) about Kansas is the deep red and orange sunsets.  When I picture "home" in my mind, I picture these sunsets and the things I saw silhouetted against them--including telephone phones.  My mom used to tell me that my great, great grandfather laid some of the first telephone poles across the state.  This bit of family history has probably been a bit romanticized in my mind since I have very little knowledge of my genealogy.  

I still have to think of a name for the necklace, and when I do (any suggestions?  Add comments!), I will be posting it on Etsy.  This may be the start of more telephone pole artwork.

The drawing for the pendant was done in Prismacolor pencils on Shrinky Dink plastic. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment