Friday, May 8, 2009

Bookshelf Inspiration


While organizing the 2nd bedroom in my house from a dumping place for the unpacked remnants of our move to a functioning workroom, I came across this old book belonging to my boyfriend.  His parents emigrated from Hungary to the US in the 1950s/60s.  This book was given to him by a Hungarian friend of the family.  The original copyright is 1949.  Some of the pages have the Hungarian names for the birds written in marker.  While I have disassembled books for art projects before, I couldn't possibly tear up this one that does not belong to me, so I am currently photocopying pages to collage into resin jewelry.  I also used the illustrations as inspiration for a few ceramic necklace pendants that I painted.  Birds have been an increasingly popular motif in decor and fashion for the past few years, and I hate to just jump on the bandwagon, but this book was too interesting to pass up.  Stay tuned for more work inspired by this unique treasure!

1 comment:

  1. What a neat book! I love how the Hungarian names were written on the pages. I'll look forward to seeing the jewelry you make from the photocopies :)

    ReplyDelete